Presentation is an art, and every slide you create is a canvas. One of the most compelling elements you can incorporate into your PowerPoint presentations is the humble icon. Icons are not just mere decoration; they are a powerful visual tool that can articulate concepts, draw attention, and make your information memorable. Here’s how to create better PowerPoint presentations with icons.
6 Tips: How to create better PowerPoint presentations with Icons.
Understand the Purpose of Icons
Before you dive into the sea of icons available, it’s important to understand why you’re using them. Icons can:
- Simplify complex ideas: By representing an idea with a visual, you help your audience grasp it quickly.
- Create visual interest: Icons can break up text-heavy slides, keeping your audience engaged.
- Convey a mood or theme: Choosing the right set of icons can set the tone of your presentation.
- Aid in memory recall: People often remember visuals better than text alone.
Choose the Right Icon Style
Consistency in style is key to a cohesive presentation. Decide on an icon style that complements your content and adheres to the following:
- Flat or 3D: Decide if you want a modern flat design or a more dimensional look.
- Outlined or filled: Depending on the background, choose icons that stand out appropriately.
- Color: Use colors that align with your presentation color scheme to maintain visual harmony.
Size and Placement Matters
The placement and size of your icons play a crucial role in how your message is perceived:
- Size for emphasis: Larger icons draw more attention, so use size to emphasize your most important points.
- Consistent sizing: Keeping icons the same size creates a clean and professional appearance.
- Leave white space: Don’t overcrowd your slides with icons. White space gives your content breathing room.
Pair Icons with Text Effectively
Icons can support your narrative when paired with text:
- Align with bullet points: Use icons as a visual anchor for your list items.
- Caption with care: If your icon isn’t immediately clear, accompany it with a brief caption.
- Balance text and icons: Ensure there is a clear hierarchy and that neither overpowers the other.
Animate with Purpose
Animation can enhance the impact of your icons but use it judiciously:
- Subtle animation: Use soft fades or gentle zooms to maintain professionalism.
- Timing is everything: Time your animations so icons appear as you discuss the related concept.
- Don’t overdo it: Too much animation can be distracting and take away from your message.
Source Quality Icons
The quality of your icons can make or break your slide’s appearance. Use reputable sources like:
- Icon libraries: IconUncle offer a wide range of quality icons.
- Custom icon design: If you have the resources, custom-designed icons can ensure your presentation is unique and tailored.
- Consistent resolution: Ensure all icons have the same resolution to prevent any from appearing pixelated or blurry.
Practice Iconography Etiquette
Respect the work of designers and the rules of usage:
- Licensing: Always check the licensing of the icons you use, especially if your presentation is for commercial purposes.
- Attribution: Some ppt icon sets require attribution, so make sure to provide it if necessary. With IconUncle Pro you can use all icon for your commercial projects without attribution
Using icons in your PowerPoint presentations isn’t just about throwing in some graphics to fill the space. It’s about enhancing your message and engaging your audience on a different level. Consider icons as a visual shorthand that can bridge the gap between your content and the audience’s comprehension.
Summary: How to create better PowerPoint presentations with Icons.
Remember, the best presentations tell a story, and with cleverly used icons, your slides can become a compelling narrative that captures attention and leaves a lasting impact. So the next time you fire up PowerPoint, think of icons as your allies in the battle against the mundane, and unleash their potential to elevate your message.
Get 2,000 Icons for PowerPoint for free
IconUncle offers you a Microsoft-verified add-in that gives you access to over 2000 vector icons after registration, which you can use directly in your presentation. With a low one-time payment you can unlock over 12,000 vector icons for PowerPoint in different styles and use all icons in all your commercial projects.